From the Cricut Circle Blog:
AUGUST MAGAZINE CHALLENGE
AUGUST COSMO CRICKET CHALLENGE!Cosmo Cricket has been with us from the beginning, so we are super excited about this contest. They always produce such fabulous product that fits perfectly with the Cricut and Cuttlebug machines. This month’s contest will be a fun way to put all of your favorite things together.
Contest Rules: Use any Cosmo Cricket product, at least three Cricut cuts, and any Cuttlebug folder. Contest will open on August 20th. Please upload a working link or picture of your project to the blog under the Magazine Challenge tab. One entry per person. Entry deadline is Friday, September 9th. The winner of this contest will receive $150.00 credit on Cricut.com! Don’t forget to take a high resolution picture so if you win, you can send it in for the Magazine!
Cricut Cartridges - Blackletter, Country Carnival, Dude & Elmo's Party
Cosmo Cricket Paper
Dew Drops - Memento Rich Cocoa & Brilliance Cosmic Copper
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Fired Brick
Cuttlebug and Cuttlebug Diamonds Folder
Viva Decor Gold Pearl Pen
Star Eyelets, Assorted Brads & Fibers
Colored Wires from Making Memories
3-D Crystal Lacquer
For the challenge, I used Cosmo Cricket Twist and Shout/Get Happy Paper. I picked this paper up when my LSS was closing over a year ago, and it was just waiting to be used! I had originally thought I would make a layout with it, but since I am scrapbook "challenged" I decided to go with a banner for my son's room. He is into Zeke and Luther on Disney, and he loves the X Games, so I wanted to make him something using Skateboarders. I used the Imagine Application in my Gypsy and Country Carnival to color and cut 3 skateboarders from the Dude Cartridge at 3.5 inches each.
Above is the star I used from Elmo's party. I loved the way it looked and it gave me a built in shadow!
I cut the stars from Elmo's Party at 7.75w by 6.75h. To make the shadow, I hid the inside layers and cut the stars using the Cosmo Cricket Twist and Shout side of the papers. Then I hid the outside layer and used the smaller layer as the mats. I used the Get Happy:Crush side of the Cosmo Cricket papers for the smaller stars.
I cut Dan's name from Blackletter and flooded it with the harlequin paper from Country Carnival. I distressed the letters with the Memento Rich Cocoa and Tim Holtz Fired Brick Distress Ink. I ran them through the Cuttlebug using the Diamond Embossing folder. I used the Memento Brilliance Dew Drop in Cosmic Copper over the embossing to give the letters some extra texture.
To embellish the stars I used the Memento Inks and Distress Ink. At the Circle Blog this month, they are running a series of posts called the ABC's of Scrapbooking. The September 2nd post was titled "E is for Eyelets". The post reminded me that there are so many different ways to use the eyelets I have, so I took some star eyelets and used them for embellishments around the skateboarders, along with using them to connect my stars.
I dug through my stash and found some great brads from Creative Imaginations Mara Johnson line, so I used them on the banner too. I used the gold Viva Decor Pearl Pen to add some extra embellishments to the letters.
I used the 3-D Crystal Lacquer on the Skateboarders for extra shine. I was cautious with it because I was afraid the Imagine ink would run, but it worked out well.
I used some EK Success Mega 3D-Dots to pop the skateboarders up. I have had this package of dots for what seem like an eternity, but always felt they were too big to use on cards. They worked perfect on the banner because it gives the skateboarders a feeling of height. I think the kids call it "Getting Big Air" You can see how big these pop ups are in this picture. You can also see the colored wires that I used as embellishments on the skateboarders too. I created them by winding the different colored wires around a paint brush and attached them to the skateboarders. I used some fun fibers from my stash to connect the stars, but was afraid they were too light to hold the whole banner up, so I added black leather twine to the first and last star to take some of the weight off the fibers.
Here's one more look at the finished banner.
I had so much fun creating this for my son. He picked out the skateboarders himself! I wish that one day I can see him on a skateboard and not just watching from the sidelines.
Thanks for stopping by the blog today!