Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Best Fishes! Cricut Circle Challenge #59 - Birthday Challenge

Every other week join us for “Challenge Friday” where we will announce a new creative challenge. We want you to feel inspired to use your supplies in new ways. Have fun with it! Check back often to see the beautiful entries from your Circle Friends . . . you are sure to leave with a desire to get cutting!
Weekly Challenge #59: Birthday Challenge
Using a bouquet of birthday balloons as your inspiration, create a project of your choice using string in a creative way on your project somewhere . . . you could use it to create your own bouquet of balloons, dangle a set of Chinese lanterns across the top of your page, hang a series of Cricut cut charms from a tag or journaling spot, use it to anchor a banner strung across your page, or swirl it on a lollipop shape. Whatever it is, show us how to use string in a fun way on your project.
 
Twine

Twine. Who doesn't love twine? Look at those colors! I believe my love for twine most likely started with the bakery box! :D


I can still remember walking home from Church on Sunday morning and stopping in the bakery for some fresh donuts or on some special days, a delicious cake. Being small, all the yummy items were always at eye level. When we'd get home, I would try not to cut the twine, but untie it carefully so that I would have some string to play with. Most of the time, the cat would eventually get it, but sometimes it would end up on an art project, or if the box was big enough as a cat's cradle. Do kids even still play that anymore? I'm showing my age. LOL!

Due to some enabling at the Cricut Message Boards, I have a nice variety of twine sitting in my craft room. It was a fun opportunity to use it. Here is my entry. It's a birthday card for my neighbor's son who loves all things fish.


Here are the details:
Cricut Expression 2
Gypsy

Cricut Carts:
Life Is A Beach
CTMH Art Philosophy
Cuttin' Up

Papers:
CTMH Dotty For You
 K&Company
 DCWV Glitter Paper

Other:
Twine
Pearls
Googly Eyes
Whiff Of Joy Gems
Stampin' Up Ink - Tempting Turquoise
Copic Markers
Ranger Glossy Accents
Scor Tape

This is one of those projects that was just fun to create. Life Is A Beach is one of my favorite carts ever! There are so many cute images that it can be hard to choose which ones to use. The easel card ended up being big, almost 6 inches for the topper. It just gave me more room to work. First I cut the turtle and twined him up. He is slightly bigger than the other cuts because I wanted him to be the focal point of the card. The twine is where the layers would have been on the turtle. I used Glossy Accents to adhere the twine on all my cuts. A pair of googly eyes added some extra cuteness to him.


One more thing about the turtle. The paper was from my stash, but when I was adding the twine, he was looking to light. Copics solved that problem. So here is the color that he started out as.

Another reason to love Copics!

The seahorses were cut at different sizes. I used the CTMH Dotty For You paper on them, except for the orange layer on the little seahorse, that's K&Co paper. Don't forget the Dotty For You Paper is on special until tomorrow for 5.00 a package with any order from CTMH. My awesome crafting friend Belinda is the best rep for CTMH, so if you want to order some of this paper, stop off to visit her here.
I took a brief vacation from my paper ban, and this paper is one of the best purchases I made. I added some Whiff Of Joy Gems to them for eyes.


The fish are a mixture of K&Co cardstock and Dotty For You papers. I took the twine and added it to the layers, then trimmed it and adhered the layers to the fish. I also gave them googly eyes.
Here is the process of how I used the twine on the layers. The yellow fish was cut too big for the card, but since I didn't take pictures of my other fish in the process of making them, I used him for instructional purposes. :0



I added Ranger Glossy Accents to the layer.

Here is the back side with the twine added.


This is what it looks like on the top side.

Trim the twine off.

Added to the fish.

Finished Fish
The Coral Boarder from Life Is A Beach. I cut it at two sizes. The yellow is Dotty For You and the Orange is K&Co. I used my copics to add some highlights on the coral. The coral, fish, seahorses and the turtle all have glossy accents on them to give the wet look.


I cut a base for the sentiment using the DCWV Glitter paper and my go to cart, Close To My Heart Art Philosophy. I have to add here that the DCWV Glitter paper is the most fabulous glitter paper I have ever used. It inks so nicely. I wanted to give a watery look to the glitter, so I used Stampin' Up Turquoise Ink on it, and while you may not be able to see it in the pictures, it came out so cool looking.
I cut out Best Wishes from Cuttin' Up and used Ranger Glossy accents for some shine. Since this was a twine challenge, I outlined the shape with more twine.





After all the excitement of NSD, it was nice to slow the pace down to create this card. I really enjoyed this challenge. It was fun to think of different ways to use my twine. It's not just for bakery boxes anymore!

Thank you for stopping by my blog today!

Happy Crafting!
Colleen

10 comments:

  1. Awesome work!! I love the twine turtle shell - so creative! And of course, can't miss the Dotty paper - love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOO love the turtle! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This is sooo cute! Love your turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME!!! Wow love your details and the cute little turle he's perfect. Great job w/ the twine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable project, just love all of the fun details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome card! Nice use of my Trendy Twine :)

    Lesley @ Trendy Twine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful twine accents for a great card! I love how you rolled the twine on the turtle (and of course the Copic use). Congrats on being the Project of the Day on the Circle Blog - your project is definitely front page material!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I love this card, the turtle is too cute!

    ReplyDelete