Saturday, February 22, 2014

Trying Something New And What I have Learned

Hi friends and fellow crafters! I am still working on my mini book for the Noel Mignon FB challenge, Book Of Love. This challenge is They're Playing Our Song. We have to use a song ( title or lyrics) as the title and/or main design element of our project. Now the challenge officially ended last Sunday, but I am going to finish this book and the challenges at my own pace. LOL! We should see the finished project before next Valentine's Day.

For my song, I chose All You Need Is Love by the Beatles to use as the cover for my book. I went back to the lesson from our Halloween Mini Book class and created the front and back covers from a piece of cardboard that my kit came in. I treated the cardboard with a couple of coats of varnish and let them dry over night. The next day I covered the cardboard with Claudine Hellmuth Sticky Back Canvas. I have never used this before and I really like it. This is my cover.


I have been obsessed with all things mixed media lately. After watching some videos on YouTube by Rach0113 I ordered some Silks Acrylic Paints. I thought this would be the perfect time to try out some new colors. I used Pixie Pink, Moonbeams and Jasmine on the cover. Here is where I discovered a couple of things. First, I should have used a layer of cardstock between the cardboard and the canvas. Second, I should have used Gesso on the canvas. I corrected both discoveries on my back cover and it turned out much nicer. Gesso is my friend.
Here is the back cover. I still need to punch the holes.


Anyway, I used my Cricut to cut the title. I used Iron On Flock from Expressions Vinyl. I looked around the fonts in my Cricut Craft Room and discovered this cute heart font on Rock Princess. I have had this cartridge for such a long time and I don't know if I even realized this font was on it. Once the letters were ironed on, I decided I didn't really like the color of the flock. I thought it was more of a lighter teal color, but it looks more green up close. The hearts that I liked so much on the font were kind of lost, so I used my copics to color them. The one heart on the letter "L" in "All" was the first heart I colored and I didn't like how dark it was. I changed colors and preferred the other hearts. I added some Ranger Glossy Accents and Martha Stewart Glitter to hearts for fun. The heart came from Groovy Times. I love this cartridge. Again. I was disappointed at how dark the flock looked after being ironed on, so I tried to "fix" it with copics. I wasn't happy with it, so I added some Martha Stewart Glitter and Glossy Accents to the  word Love. Meh, it's ok. I used modeling paste and my Heidi Swapp Spray Stencil that came with the February Noel Mignon kit to add some dimensional hearts on the cover. I used Silks to paint them and some glitter on them as well.. I added some doodling and gold Silks to the cover and decided to leave well enough alone. I hope I get better at mixed media as time goes on.



I added a cool piece of Die Cut With A View Neon Chic Stack cardstock to the inside of the covers. I ruined the second piece of cardstock that matched the front cover, so I choose another piece with the same colorings for the back cover. Don't ask...



I like the insides of the covers.  I may redo the front cover somewhere down the road with lighter colors, but for now it will do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Ha, ha!



Thanks for stopping by my blog today and don't forget, when it comes to mixed media, Gesso is your friend!

Happy Crafting!
Colleen

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful cover Colleen!! And awesome tips too. :)

    ReplyDelete