Tuesday, October 4, 2011

So much glitter! Weekly Challenge #42

 

Weekly Challenge #42: World Card-Making Day Challenge!

.

Weekly Challenge #42: World Card-Making Day Challenge!

The Challenge: For this next challenge, we want to see you show off your card-making skills in honor of World Card-Making Day (October 1st). The requirements are simple . . . create a card with any theme you would like using your Cricut machines!
Rules and Guidelines: Circle Blog Challenges are open to Cricut Circle Members only. Your project must be newly created for this challenge and include at least 2 Cricut Image Cuts. You must submit a project to be entered into the Challenge Prize Drawing. One entry per person, please.
How to Enter: Submit your entry using the InLinkz tool found at the bottom of this post. Please post your full name along with your entry. Entries are due by 9:00 pm MST on Thursday, October 13th, 2011.
Prize: This week we will choose THREE winners to receive $25 in credit added to their Cricut.com account. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery from winner announcement.
Winner: The winners will be selected randomly from qualifying entries using www.random.org

So Much Glitter!

Materials Used
Gypsy
Imagine (just for cutting)
Cricut Cartridges:
Happy Hauntings, October 31st,
Grey and Teal Cardstock
Graphic 45 Halloween in Wonderland Cardstock
Martha Stewart Glitter, Various colors 
Glitter Glue and Decoupage Glue and Sealer
Viva Decor Pearl Pen
Doodlebug Flock (black)
Distress Inks
 I-Rock & Jolee's Hot Fix Crystals in Red
Some embellies from my stash
3-D Crystal Lacquer


My entry for the Challenge is an extremely sparkly Halloween card. It was so messy and fun to create. A couple of years ago I saw a great card topper using glitter to create a gradient background in Cardmaker Magazine, and I used that as an inspiration for my card. I didn't follow the actual color gradient but the entire card topper is glittered. I would recommend if anyone wants to try this, run your cardstock through the Xyron. I was out of Xyron adhesive and used Martha Stewart Glitter glue, (very messy!) and then Martha Stewart Decoupage Glue and Sealer to seal the paper. I will list the colors by the names they have in Martha Stewart's Glitter set, and in parenthesis by what I call them. LOL! I started with a mix of peridot (green) and brownstone (brown) on the bottom, then a layer of onyx (black) into a layer of hematite (silvery black). The top layer is mostly lapis lazuli(blue) with a sprinkle of charoite (purple). As I layered the colors, I would leave a little glue uncovered so that I could sprinkle some of the next color before adding the full layer of color. I let it sit over night and once the glitter was dry, I brushed the sealer over the paper. The sealer also takes a very long time to dry, so if you try this, make sure you have lots of time to let it all dry. I tried to get a picture of the sparkle, but it doesn't show as well as I would have hoped.

Once it was dried, I adhered it to a 5.5 by 5.75 card. I designed the card on my Gypsy. The Headless Horseman, the headstone with the blackbird, and the two background jack o' lanterns from Happy Hauntings. The moon is the layer from the tombstone. I just cut it larger. I used Distress Inks to add some extra color on the moon. For a little extra sparkle, because this card just doesn't have ENOUGH sparkle, I used my I-Rock and Red Jolee's Hot fix Crystals on the corners.
The tree, center jack o' lantern and tombstone behind the Headless Horseman are all from October 31st.
I used Doodlebug Flock on the Headless Horseman. It's much thicker than the flock I am used to. It also caught some glitter from the paper. LOL! That's the glitter on the horse in the picture. I used a little Gold Stickles on the horse for his bridle.
I also cut two additional layers of the Headless Horseman in Green and Red for his cape and the grass. I used 3-D Crystal Lacquer on his head, the cape and also on the eyes and mouths of the jack o' lanterns.
Here is the inside of the card. The cat and phrase are both from Happy Hauntings. The paper is from Graphic 45 Halloween in Wonderland. I'm pretty sure the paper that I cut the Happy Halloween from is K&Company. I had the scraps on my desk, so I used them. I used some embellies I had in a small container for the corners.
This is my first Halloween card for the season. I love Halloween, so I am sure there will be more cards coming in the future! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
Happy Crafting!
Colleen


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this sparkly creation! Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starry, starry night! That was my first thought when I saw this fabulous card! Girl, this needs to be framed! Wonderful!
    Carolyn
    http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete